Petah Tikva is one of the largest cities in Israel, located near Tel Aviv. The city is not considered a resort though it is just 20 minute drive from the Mediterranean beach. If tourists come to the city, treatment becomes their main goal. One of the leading oncological centers in the area is the Davidov Cancer Center, which is part of a multidisciplinary state medical complex.
The city’s history begins in the Bronze Age, as evidenced by the numerous finds of those times within the boundaries of Petah Tikva. Also, parts of the Crusader castle were excavated in 2006, 2009, and 2010.
Petah Tikva means “Opening of Hope/Gate of Hope”, and the name itself is taken from the holy book of the prophet Hosea. The city began its development as an agricultural settlement. The first founders were Jews from Jerusalem – they dug wells and plowed the land, but their families still lived in Jerusalem. The settlers had to fight the attacks of the Arabs who lived nearby.
The colony became more stable with funding for swamp drainage provided by Baron Edmond de Rothschild (a member of a European banker dynasty). Thanks to his support, schools began to appear in the city, a synagogue was built, and swamps were drained. With his help, local settlers began to engage in winemaking and gardening. Rothschild provided significant financial support and helped to raise the economy, after which a small settlement grew into the city of Petah Tikva.
The past wars have fundamentally undermined the city’s economy. Population growth and the city’s development rapidly went up in the 40s, and in 1950 there were more than 200 factories and workshops. However, despite all the hardships and troubles, Petah Tikva was the largest importer of citrus fruits.